The 2023 NAHB International Builders’ Show® (IBS) was back in Las Vegas and it was the biggest Builders’ Show since 2008. The Compass Homes team was among the nearly 70,000 residential construction professionals to attend IBS 2023, learning about the short and long-term outlook for the country’s home building industry.
While we were there, we also fell in love with some of the latest trends and innovative amenities available in custom home building, and – most importantly – enjoyed time together. It was also a perfect time to celebrate the return of Hylas Stemen to Compass Homes. While he has collaborated with us for many years, he has officially returned to the team, and we are absolutely thrilled.
So, let’s look at some of our favorite things from IBS 2023.
- It’s all about the dogs. The number of people who adopted dogs or cats during the pandemic is off the charts and, as a result, home design trends seem to have ‘gone to the dogs’ … but in a good way. It’s safe to say we saw dog showers and pet bowl watering systems everywhere.
- White kitchens continue to be timeless. Period.
- Did you say wine? Wine rooms, wine storage systems, wine cellar design … anything and everything having to do with wine are must-haves. And this year, we’re seeing bold colors and “hidden” refrigerators within this “everything wine” trend.
- Health and wellness continue to take center stage. “Wellness” and everything revolving around personal health remain the most significant force behind creating trends, from interior design to floor plan design. Part of this is creating spa-like experiences at home and this year black freestanding tubs are hugely popular.
- Color is HUGE in 2023. In every area of the home, even with generators! We’re not kidding – KOHLER launched a new menu of bold, brilliantly colored generators for 2023.
- All shades of finishes. Shades of brass and black are trending, although polished chrome and polished nickel are timeless and always in style. While our trade partner Moen features a variety of styles and finishes for kitchen faucets, the newest finish, polished black, was all the rage.
- Statement lighting. Big, bold, large all-black or all-white dome-shaped pendants are HOT. White shades instead of clear glass are popping up everywhere and we’ve been doing them in our spec homes already this year. In general, there was a wide variety of very interesting light fixtures. Lighting is where folks can invest a lot of money, and create a big impact, design-wise.
- Texture is HUGE!!! Even with wall tile and countertops. Texture is an integral part of any design and is a simple way to instantly elevate a home’s style. Some of our favorites are from Cambria, which is the only American-made quartz, manufactured in Minnesota and they’re still family-owned.
- Butcher block islands are HUGE. Everyone has heard about quartz countertops being the latest and greatest trend, but people are now starting to lean more naturally and explore butcher block islands.
- All about the hardware. Nothing gets us more excited than door hardware! There are some fantastic offerings from our door hardware partner, Schlage…especially smart locks.
At Compass Homes, we’re passionate about our process-driven culture that allows our clients to enjoy building their new homes almost as much as they enjoy living in their brand-new homes. We are here to help guide you through the building process so that your home is uniquely yours, with more thought and quality per square foot. Contact us today to get started building your new home.
More From Compass Homes