Are you ready for fall? As wonderful as summer has been, we’re loving the cooler days & nights, football Friday nights & Saturdays, watching the kids play soccer, and school back in session. As summer winds down and planters begin to lose their color, are you looking at the front of your home with a critical eye? Your front porch is the first thing people see when they come to your home. Is it ready for fall? As your Columbus custom home builders, we’ve found some fun ideas to inspire you.
Fall colors tend to be more muted than summer colors, so choose golds, whites, oranges, browns, light blues, and jewel-tones. Adding pops of these colors to your autumn decorations will help your porch stand out & welcome fall!
Using natural items screams fall. You might have items in your yard that you can use or head to the garden center to find some perfect fall decorations. Think about using real flora or go for artificial, realistic plants, leaves, and pumpkins.
- Small hay bales with some pumpkins or mums perched on them adds fall curb appeal.
- Mums in multiple colors & sizes can line a walkway or be placed in groupings on the porch. Look for other colorful fall plants to complement the mums. Ornamental cabbage is a fun choice.
- Cut some tall grasses or find some corn stalks and stand them up by the door or in a corner to add height to a display.
- Do you have a chair, swing or bench on your porch? Add fall inspired pillows or a blanket to transform it to fall.
- Use gourds of all sizes to flank a doorway, line a window box, or fill a basket.
- Buy a fall inspired doormat to welcome guests.
- Place pumpkins in & around your front flowerbeds for added fall color. (Use fake ones if you have lots of critters around – otherwise it will become food.)
The DIY options are endless, only limited by your own abilities. If you aren’t the crafty sort, many of these can be found in stores. (Or maybe your crafty friend will help you.)
- Paint real or fake pumpkins in your favorite fall colors and stack them up. Paint your house number on each pumpkin (or just use one pumpkin and paint your number on it.).
- Get some fake pumpkins and spray paint them metallic gold & white.
- Carve pumpkins with leaf patterns and light them every night. Or buy plastic or ceramic ones and paint leaves on them for fall appeal. Use battery-operated candles for instant ease. Painting them with chalkboard paint and writing a fall message on them could be fun.
- Carve out some pumpkins and fill them with dirt & fall plants. Or just use some fake ones, maybe painting them different colors?
- Paint a large piece of reclaimed wood with the word “Fall” or “Welcome”. There are even classes offered where you can do this with your friends. Make it a Girls’ Night out!
- Instead of buying a fall doormat, make your own. All you need is a plain doormat & some paint.
- Make a wreath from seasonal items – think mums, apples, pumpkins, leaves, and gourds. Paint them using mixed metals for a stunning display.
Fall is around the corner. We’re not ready to let go of summer yet, but a little planning now will make your porch look amazing this fall. Which of these ideas really inspired you? Need more inspiration? We’ve pinned many ideas to our Pinterest page, so check them out. We’ve got stunning porches on our homes for sale in Upper Arlington & other neighborhoods that we’d love to see you decorate for fall.