Some design trends change year to year, while others are timeless. Compass Homes, custom home builders Columbus, Ohio, stays current on all the trends so that we can help you make informed decisions about your home designs. What trends are out for 2016 & what changes will you make? Here are some trends that were once “in” but are working their way back “out.”
California Berber Carpet
- This carpet is hard to keep clean & can snag easily
- Not recommended if you have pets or children
- We heard many complaints that this carpet gets flattened down in a short period of time
It is better to use nubby wool & other natural fiber carpets, and cover wood floors with area rugs filled with pops of color.
- Many believe this is a super trend, and will be gone soon
- Too rustic for some
- Has to be used in the right spot with open wall space without outlets or furniture in the way
- Involves a big installation
The move is to use pocket doors, which allow wall space to be utilized or decorative doors that can even act as artwork.
The Color Marsala
- Is an earthy wine color
- Doesn’t easily mesh with décor
- Viewed as an older style muted color
White hues are in, especially warmer whites and creamy neutrals that create an atmosphere of well-being & mindfulness.
Gold Tone Granites
- Gold tone is harder to use with other colors & woods in the kitchen
White & light granite colors are in, allowing lots of other kitchen color choices.
Formal Dining Rooms
- Older homes had small kitchens and dining rooms off the kitchen where meals were served, then families moved on to other rooms after the meal was finished
- Lifestyles were more formal
- Houses had smaller rooms closed off from each other
Homes are more contemporary & open. Kitchens are the hub of the family, where cooking & home life occurs. Kitchens are larger, have more seating space with an island & a table, and can be an entertainment space.
Built In Whirlpool & Garden Tubs
- They take up a lot of usable bathroom space
- Use a great deal of water
These are being replaced with larger showers with spa-like features, double vanities, and space saving free standing tubs.
What trends do you see changing for this year? Are you ready to make some changes? Compass Homes, custom and home builders, would love to help you create the home you have been dreaming about.