Goodbye 2019, Hello 2020!
As we flip the page on the calendar to a new year, we thought we would take a moment to look at some design trends that have begun to wear out their welcome, and trends that are ready to take their place.
Five design trends from 2019 that are starting to expire…
Compass Homes and our acclaimed design team are noticing some trends that were popular in 2018 & 2019 that are now starting to retire. Fresh, new colors are taking hold for 2020, and certain trends you saw over the previous two years are moving out for the next decade.
- Massive walk-in showers. While these look aesthetically fantastic in the right sized bathroom, we are hearing complaints about how chilly they are. Walk-in and doorless showers are on the way out. Brrrr.
- “Greige”, the new beige from a few years ago is moving on out. Stronger colors and more profound pops of color, especially in master bedrooms, are becoming an emerging trend. We are so excited to see the beloved ‘neutral palette’ expand to include warmer, richer browns, camels, and cognacs. These warmer neutrals play so nicely with grays and whites, so various shades of all of the above will be our go-to colors in the year ahead!
- Modern farmhouse? On the way out. We have no comment here.
- Edison bulbs. Again, very cool, but appears their functionality and ability to effectively layer this kind of lighting is on its way out.
- Painted cabinetry. You will still see cabinetry in various color tones, but white is still very popular and here to stay.
So now that we know what design trends are on their way out, what are some emerging trends that will take center stage in 2020?
- Light fixtures are being used as jewelry throughout a home. These fixtures light your home, and so much more. They are design elements on their own, and can capture the personality of your home.
- Painted brick is taking the place of natural stone. While homeowners took a break from brick for a while, it’s one of those classic elements that always find their way back.
- Outdoor living areas as an extension of your home. Particularly in the suburbs, we are seeing covered porches and patios pop up everywhere, acting as an extension of the traditional living room.
- Our televisions certainly are not going away, but how they are incorporated into the design of your home is changing. Designers are getting very creative in how the TV niche is made to be a focal point of a living space by using rich colors, shiplap painted brick, and unique storage solutions.
- We already know that “greige” is on its way out, and in the master bedroom at least, it looks like dark colors – like Grizzle Gray – are taking their place.
- Smart window treatments are ensuring your blinds, shades, sheers, and shutters are perfectly positioned at the touch of a button – or at the sound of your voice.
- Wallpaper … it’s back! Especially in powder rooms, wallpaper is making a style comeback. But be aware, this is not your grandmother’s wallpaper. Designers will become bolder and more adventurous with their wallpaper choices in 2020.
- No longer just for sports balls and lawn equipment, garages are going to be taking a step forward in the coming year. We expect to see garage designs take into consideration custom storage options, electric car charging stations, and space for generators.
Regardless of trends, we can help you build your forever home that reflects your personality, and meets the needs of your busy lifestyle. Contact us today so that we can help guide you to a home with more thought and quality per square foot.